Ord Bridge

Ord Bridge

The Ord Bridge is a pedestrian crossing over the Singapore River located in the Clarke Quay area. The bridge was constructed to replace a destroyed pedestrian one called the ABC Bridge. The new steel truss bridge bears the name of Colonel Sir Harry St. George Ord (1819–1885), the first British Governor of the Straits Settlements appointed after Singapore was proclaimed a royal colony.

The new name is also a shortened form of the previous one, Ordnance Bridge, a British ordnance depot along Magazine Road. The bridge is also known as the Toddy Bridge thanks to the toddy (palm wine) shops on nearby Palau Saigon, an island on the Singapore River, which was reclaimed from the river. In 2008 the bridge was chosen to become part of a conservation plan aiming to preserve old architectural sights.

Address: Clarke Quay
How to reach: MRT Clarke Quay NE5
Coordinates: 1.29073, 103.84396